January 6, 2011

The "New" Paper Towels

A little over a month ago I decided to try something new.  I decided our family was done using paper towels.  Seriously.
Let me just insert a little babble right here.  I am not an eco friendly, tree love'n, "save the planet" kind of girl, but I do think it's important that we all try to do a little bit to help out.  That being said, if you ever hear me talk about "Going Green" on this blog, to me that means SAVING GREEN!  So yes, this ended up being just another way for us to save money (and trash).
Ok, back to not using paper towels...
I honestly can't remember exactly how the idea dawned on me.  But, Jason and I were at the dreaded Wal-mart one weekend stocking up on everything we were low on and when we got to the paper towel isle he about flipped when he saw the price of those things.  I don't know about yall, but my husband is not a one-paper towel kind of guy.  Not only that, but if it's a really messy job, go ahead and count on using half a roll if it's not a good brand!  Also, we grill...a LOT.  And for anybody that does also, you know that ONE napkin or ONE paper towel usually doesn't do it (especially when eating ribs).

So here's what we did.  We scrapped the paper towels and bought ONE pack of 18 wash clothes for $4.00.  $4.00!  That is about half the price of a 6 pack of paper towels, and guess what with 18 wash clothes you don't run out!  The minute one gets filthy we just throw it in the washing machine to be washed with the next load.  We got ours at Wal-mart (mainstays).
Actually, the package looked like this, but the top picture is just prettier.
We also use these super cheap dish towels from Ikea when we have people over for a bbq.  The event-planner-wanna-be in me likes to have a few things that do match.  But these babies were only 49 CENTS each!
Tekla Dish Towel
I waited for about a month to put it on here, because I really wanted it to work before I suggested it to anyone.  But this has seriously been a great way for us to cut out some spending.  Yes, we've been made fun of a few times, but we haven't had any complaints!  Jason and I do laugh at times, but we've still got one roll of paper towels left in the pantry that has been sitting there since mid-November.  So, Yay for us!


No comments:

Post a Comment